We submit 1,000 Tax Returns annually
Most people only deal with the Inland Revenue through the tax coding they receive every year; whilst many others have to prepare tax returns year after year.
We deal with Tax Returns to the Inland Revenue virtually every day and know their procedures and expectations intimately, which allows us to advise and act for you in all taxation matters in the most efficient manner possible.
We obviously can’t promise to prevent you being investigated, but we can ensure that only the relevant information is submitted to the tax authorities in a proper format, and that we will ensure that tax returns are kept error free, to minimise the chances of your Return being selected for investigation.
We can help ensure you claim all the allowances you are entitled to, which might be as simple as some flat rate allowances for clothing expenses or more complex claims.
DEALING WITH TAX INVESTIGATIONS
You can’t prevent a tax investigation happening, but we can reduce the risk to the taxpayer through our experience and skills. And we offer tax investigation insurance to our clients to pay the costs of any investigation.
Probably one of the most stressful events in your life, a tax investigation needs to be handled firmly, professionally and objectively. We have built a huge reputation with our clients and with the Inland Revenue for dealing with investigations in a manner that is helpful, effective and knows exactly where to draw the lines. We always act for the client, not the taxman, and are willing and able to draw lines where the Inland Revenue seek to exceed their authority. That is not being confrontational, but all about being prepared to challenge the Inspector when the try to do too much.
- In a recent case, a client was being investigated and the Inspector wanted proof that the drawings from the business were the sole source of income for our client and that they met all the outgoings. After careful consideration, we decided the request was reasonable, but suspected that the Inspector was going on a ‘fishing expedition’. We provided the information in such a form that the Inspector’s questions were satisfied, and he couldn’t get any more information beyond the exact minimum he had requested. The investigation was closed almost immediately.
Glasgow: 0141 237 3878
Kilmarnock: 01563 578900
Stornoway: 01851 700362
Login to OpenSpace
Our clients say…
We first met Nicolson Accountancy in 2004, when Cambrian Caledonian Limited opened the Arnish wind turbine tower construction yard. Having advertised for an accounts manager, we received a letter from Nicolson Accountancy proposing that we consider outsourcing this requirement. We met with them, and were very impressed with Nicolson’s commercial focus, professional knowledge and human Continue Reading
John Aldersey-Williams Owner - Redfield Consulting and CEO - SeaEnergy July 14, 2012
Recent blog posts
- CIS Refunds May 23, 2017
- Victory at a VAT Tribunal May 14, 2017
- Limited Cost Traders – FRS VAT implications for FRS April 21, 2017
- Cyber Security – keeping your data safe April 17, 2017
- Scottish Tax rates differ from the rest of the UK December 15, 2016
Great Disaster for your Public Relations. 👉 If you haven't got the right permissions for GDPR then you haven't got the right permissions to send me an email in the first place. twitter.com/jonnohop…
Post Brexit the VAT landscape could look totally different. (a) almost start again and build new rules (b) abolish VAT on B2B transactions (c) adhere to current and future EU laws. At the moment the only certainty is that the computer systems are 10 years away from being ready. twitter.com/jp_biz/s…
Where we started our business all those years ago. twitter.com/emplawye…